Friday, August 16, 2013

Why Sheena Needs to Get Up Earlier



Friday morning started like any other.  The alarm goes off, we press snooze.  Nine minutes pass.  The alarm goes off.  We press snooze.  Nine more minutes pass.  I got up and convinced Sheena that she really needs to get ready for work.  I lurched toward the kitchen to fetch the anti-zombie juice, more frequently referred to as coffee.

In an attempt to live a healthier lifestyle, Sheena has been eating breakfast.  After dressing, she tried to prepare oatmeal with honey in our galley kitchen while Lillian emptied the dishwasher.  This should not be a difficult task.

1.       Pour oatmeal in bowl.
2.       Drizzle honey over oatmeal.
3.       Pour milk.


This morning it went more like this.

1.       Pour oatmeal in bowl.
2.       Reach for the honey and drop it out of the cabinet onto the edge of said bowl.
3.       Wonder what the fuck happened to cause the oatmeal explosion.


I heard the “explosion” and came around the corner to see what happened.  I saw the oatmeal with honey in places I never knew it could be; on the upper cabinets, on the side of the refrigerator, on Lillian, on the dog, and most amusing, on the front of Sheena’s pants.

Me:  “What happened?” 

Grumpy Gus:  “I don’t know!  Get me the broom or something!”

I know Sheena’s not a morning person and she’s clearly not awake, so I buttoned my lip and went to fetch the broom from the porch.  Grumbling under my breath at her abrasiveness, I grabbed the broom and muttered to myself, “It’s ‘Get me the broom, please’.”  Clearly I was not awake either, because on my way back into the house I missed the cement step and down I went like London Bridge. 

Sweet Lil was the first to show concern.  Perhaps it was because, as she said, “I saw your legs and butt fly up in the air and you crashed down.”  She came running to see if I was okay, followed by a now jolted-awake Sheena.

Oh, it’s funny now.  Even with a bruised and swollen rug-burned elbow, a scraped calf and shin, and back spasms.

But really.  Sheena needs to get up earlier.



No comments:

Post a Comment